Sunday, April 25, 2010

Rick Slater’s Deconstructing the Project

Once upon a time, before the blogging, before the move to the Delaware Valley, I was an audio engineer in north east Ohio mixing tracks for various Hip Hop and R&B artists. Mastering the arts of Cool Edit Pro, Adobe Audition, Pro Tools and then graduating to the use of "the audio board console. (ECHO)" Ha, where am I going with all of this? Well, it's all something that is still very much a part of my life, even though things have changed a great deal since 1998.

For those just starting out, there are a lot of places on the interwebs to reference and to learn from. One of my good internet buddies in NYC just happens to be one of those interweb writers and a good person to reference from.

Photobucket


Check out Rick Slater's article entitled "Deconstructing the Project." It's broken out into parts for readers and found on Sonic Scoop. Here's a sample plus link...

Photobucket


If you keep an open mind, the music will tell you what to do. That’s been my philosophy in the studio, one of the many hard-learned lessons I’ve learned over many years of engineering records. I’ve seen and tried many interesting methods of manipulating sound, and I’ve also seen that sometimes the best thing you can do as an engineer/producer is stay out of the way and be a documentarian. LINK

No comments: