Sunday, August 7, 2011

8 Dead in Copley Shooting

Tragedy hit way to close to home today as a mad man killed seven people (two Copley High School students and an 11 year old) before being killed by the police. This all happened in my hometown of Copley, OH, literally not even a half a mile away from the house I grew up in. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the victims.


Copley police confirm that eight people, including a gunman, are dead after a shooting rampage Sunday morning. Two other people were wounded, one critically.

Chief Michael Mier says a gunman opened fire around 11 a.m. after an argument in a home on Goodenough Avenue. Five people were killed at that location. The gunman then took two more lives on nearby Schocalog Road. One of the victims was an 11-year-old child. -Lindsay Buckingham Fox8

"Somebody knocked on my door, and a woman was on my porch -- hiding on my porch. I went out the door, she ran in the house and told me that somebody had shot her husband point blank in the head," McCrady said. "[The woman] said 'there's a lot of people shot,' and she started screaming 'my son, my son, my 11-year-old son.' [The woman's son] went the opposite direction she went, and she was looking for, wanting her son, but she said 'oh, my God, I'm a widow,' " McCrady said. -I went to Copley High School with Ms. McCrady's daughter. This is too scary.

Like I stated before, way too close to home, and from what I've been told, the 11 year old was chased down. This angers me beyond belief.

A candlelight vigil was held Sunday evening at Copley Community Park to remember the victims.


Something has to be seriously wrong with you to chase down and kill an 11 year old kid. My nephew is 11, and I could only imagine the horror. Police are still actively investigating the shooting and plan to release more information at a noon press conference on Monday.

More Shocking News Via Ellen Miller, newsnet5.com Link

Police have identified the gunman in a shooting spree that claimed seven lives in Copley as Michael Hance, 51.

NewsChannel5’s Dan Haggerty talked with a woman named Monique, whose sister lives at 1219 Schocalog Avenue. Her sister, Melody, saw 11-year-old Scott Dieter running through the neighborhood and called him into her home to hide from Hance.

The child ran to the basement to hide with Melody’s 9-year old son. They turned out the lights.

The family locked the doors, but that apparently did not stop the gunman. He shot holes in the locks and broke the glass to get inside.

Monique said Hance held a gun to Melody’s head, demanding to know where the boy was. When she would not tell him, he searched the house and went down to the dark basement with a gun in one hand and a penlight in the other.

The gunman found the boys and killed Scott Dieter without saying a word, then left.

Hance was killed outside the home when he exchanged gunfire with police.

No comments: